Try saying that 10 times fast!
Also know as the Christmas Star or Star of Bethlehem, the majestic red plant will be available at Plant City’s extended holiday markets this weekend and next weekend.
Plant City vendor Bonny Harrell, owner of MAD Plants, offers some some care tips for tending to poinsettias:
1. Place plant in indirect light for at least 6 hours a day.
2. Poinsettias prefer temps between 68-70 degrees.
3. Water your plant when soil feels dry to touch.
4. Fertilize plant after blooming season with a balanced all -purposed fertilizer.
5. Don’t expose plant to temps below 50 degrees.
6. Don’t over water your plants or allow to sit in water.
A little history about the Poinsettia:
It is indigenous to Mexico. It is well know for its green and red foliage and used in Christmas displays. It derives its common English name from Joel Roberts Poinsett, the first United States Minister to Mexico, who introduced the plant to the US in 1825.